Sunday, April 29, 2012

Oysters - A Personal Introduction

Dan's View

I don't recall the first time that I was introduced to the oyster.  Most likely it was sometime during my late teens when all sorts of passions were being awakened in me.  What I do remember is that when the meat of that first bivalve mollusk met my tongue, and it began interpreting the tastes it was sensing...well, it was love at first slurp.  My early experiences sampling oysters were rather limited and infrequent, since I was from midwest stock; born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago.  It also was generally not the standard fare for a young guy in the 1980's (pizza was the dominant attraction in those days).
A half dozen Pleasant Bay oysters
It was only after moving to Northern Virginia that I became an oyster connoisseur-in-training. The favorite watering hole for Cathy and me was Hank's Oyster Bar, located in historic Old Town Alexandria.  The primary attraction to Hank's -- besides the excellent seafood fare -- was their oyster happy hour, during which you can order three varieties of oysters at a buck apiece (the normal price is $2 per oyster).  There are large blackboards in the front and back of the restaurant, which have the night's six oyster selections scribbled on them.  Generally there are 3 from the east coast and 3 from the west coast (more on this east coast/west coast distinction later).  And 3 of the 6 options are happy hour oysters (indicated with an asterisk). When the server describes the different oysters to patrons, it is much akin to describing the characteristics of wines.  But instead of body, complexity, and fruitiness they are described in terms of brininess, creaminess, and mineral qualities.  Interestingly though both have a 'finish' attribute.

I loved living in the DC area.  I am a history buff -- especially American Revolution and Civil War history --  and enjoyed the many museums, memorials, and battlefields that were readily available to us. It should be no surprise then that I was more than a little apprehensive at the thought of relocating to Ann Arbor.  On top of that, we would be relocating to the Midwest where alas, we would be far from either coast and therefore likely to be living in an oyster-free zone -- or best case, much less opportunity and selection available.  Happily I was proven wrong.  Ann Arbor happens to be a cultural and culinary gem, and the availability and variety of oysters is plentiful -- both at area restaurants and local (and most excellent) fish markets.  I miss Hank's, but we can always go back to visit.  Oysters are a passion of mine, so I will have more to say on this subject later.

The end...of the beginning. 

2 comments:

  1. Dan, If you haven't yet you should read MFK Fisher's "Consider the Oyster." I suspect you'd find it an interesting and enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I've added to my reading list.

      Delete